Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Oh When Will They Ever Learn?

Please sing the title to the tune of "Where Have All The Flowers Gone?"

So, we got a flyer on our door for a free $25 gift card to the store of our choice. I knew there would be a catch, but as a SAHM with a lot of time on my hands (who LOVES Target) I thought, I may as well look into it. So I called and they said that someone would come by to show me a eco-friendly product and have me fill out a 10 question survey about it. I should have gotten suspicious when they said my husband would have to be home too. So when they called to confirm I asked if they were selling something (of course they were) and how long it would take (45 minutes).

Long story short -- a cute Meg Ryan look alike who has two kids and is an inactive member from SLC shows up to sell us a "Home Defense System" AKA over-priced vacuum called The Patriot. This is the 3rd of these vacuum presentations we've sat through - one for a "free trip" (that we never took) and an as seen on TV salsa maker that we used once and it was a piece of junk. The next for a "free carpet cleaning in one room." Mind you, he didn't clean the entire room, I'm sure to leave a nice line of demarcation to show the filthiness. And here we go again for the $25 Target Gift Card.

I have to say, this was the best presentation of the three. She only stayed an hour and a half compared to the 2 1/2 hour Kirby guy and the 3 hour Rainbow guy. It was definitely the best product, she was the best sales girl and I did want it. But not for $2,000. They have all done the white filter demos to show us how filthy our carpet is, shown us the pictures of dust mites, etc. I know vacuums don't work and I do want something that works. But I also want braces (again), the house painted, Harrison in gymnastic and music lessons, etc. etc. etc.

I think I have finally learned my lesson once and for all. You can't get something for nothing and if it sounds too good to be true it is.

Nate said we should have told her we'd buy it if she'd come back to church.

Does anyone have a "home defense system"? If so, was it worth it and can I borrow it?

Oh well, Target, here I come!

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Hey Michelle, I just found your blog. One of these days I will actually put one together, but for now I'm just a blog stalker. Your kids are so cute! Glad you guys are doing well. -- Jamie (Williams) Nopper

Nicole said...

I'm a sucker for the freebies, too!