Friday, September 19, 2008

No Sugar Rush

Okay, I have to brag. Since cutting out sugar on Tuesday (and being conscious of portion control and eating way more fruits and veggies) I have lost 3 1/2 pounds. I must say, that this is the first time I have had self control when not on a "diet." I dieted all through college and was miserable when on and more miserable when off. So I told myself I wasn't going to do that anymore, and I haven't for about 6 years. This time I am just using all the things I know and making good choices. Other than straight up sweets, there's nothing I am depriving myself of. I had my version of a Cafe Rio sweet pork enchilada with green sauce and creamy cilantro dressing last night. But I had one and then I was done for the night. I feel like this is the only way that I will be able to have success and really stick with something. I have to keep eating normal foods and just have self-control. Also, I plan on still indulging in sweets and enjoying life, on special occasions. Just not throwing my own private parties every single day and having dessert after every single meal. I'm not exaggerating.

I have also worked out everyday this week and today did something I never, ever imagined I could or would do. We ran 2 miles straight and 3.1 total. That's a 5K. Now I just have to take out the two short walking breaks we did and I will have reached my first long-term fitness goal. It has also been decided that I will for sure be doing the triathlon in June, which is my ultimate fitness goal for now. I have to give a shout out to my friend Jenni, who is the best work out partner ever. She knows how to push me and we have so much fun. She has much more mental strength than I do and that is something I'm working on. In the past I have been one to give up easily and talk myself out of things with a very "oh well" attitude. I am seriously praying everyday for mental strength, because with exercise and food, it's all mind games for me.

On my birthday this year I told myself that this was my year to get it together. That by the time I turned 30 I was going to have my life under control. At the time I mostly meant cleaning my house and not yelling at my kids. So, the cleaning has not improved at all, the yelling at the kids is a work in progress. But I am getting it together physically. Which does effect other areas. I come home from the gym, read my scriptures and get dressed. So by 7:30, all that's done. (Minus hair and make-up). For someone who was always still in bed by then, this is a big deal. There were days I never even got dressed (and there may be more of those, but at least I will have worked out). So I am feeling more ready for the day and ready to be productive, which eventually might help me clean my house. Anyway, the point is that I am feeling like by the time I'm 30 I really will have changed and gotten some things under control.

For those of you who don't know, my best friend Kelly and I have this plan to go to Oprah for our 30th birthdays. We've been planning it for 5 years and next year is the big year. Even though Oprah will never know, I feel like this life-changing stuff is totally her kind of thing and she'd be so proud (I think of her as my black mama/best friend who doesn't know it yet -- even though over the past few years those feelings have subsided a little). So, Chicago better watch out, because a somewhat together, somewhat skinner 3o year-old is coming to town!

**8 more days until the cake buffet!**

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Yay for you! I am so impressed! I still can't get up the energy or will to exercise. Plus, I have no partner. If I did it would make a difference. You are doing AWESOME!

Koenig Family Blog said...

Way to go Michelle!!! That is awesome! I also *hate* working out, but for some reason can't wait until I can start up again (post baby) just because of the way it makes me feel etc. *And* giving up sugar- you are my hero! I don't think I could do it, but who knows? Maybe I will give it a try if it will give me a great attitide like you have!

Erin Goldston said...

Wow, Michelle, I am so proud of you!! You are so together and impressive. Quite inspiring I might add. I absolutely love reading your blogs!! WAY TO GO!