Saturday, March 21, 2009

I'm Not Even Irish

Nate and Harrison got into the spirit of St. Patrick's Day early, by wearing their green to church the Sunday before.




The last 2 years, I've celebrated St. Patrick's Day like a true Irish woman. Even though I'm not. I just like the excuse to have a party in the middle of March. Plus, the theme is too easy to resist. (You know I love a good theme). And it's not a family holiday, so I don't feel like I'm intruding on people's traditions and special moments. So it's become my thing to throw a St. Patrick's Day Green Lunch. Green food and clothing only please.


We had lots of moms.


And kids.



And gorgeous weather, which allowed us to have it at the park (much easier than having it at my house!)

Let's close up on that cute little lass in the dress.


Here are Mina and Logan.

Mina, Julie and Haylie.


Andrew and Hudson.


I long for the days of eating a sugar cookie with reckless abandon and then licking the frosting off my face with my tongue, in public. Now, I can only do that in the privacy of my own home.

Me and the kiddos.

Why is Harrison so grumpy in so many of these pictures?
Well, he was a naughty little leprechaun and decided to drop his drawers and pee in the sandbox (as another mom somewhat rudely informed all of us in the middle of our party.) I've since been informed by several moms of boys that this is normal behavior and might not pass quickly. However, I treated it as the serious offense that I think it is (after all it is disgusting and inappropriate), so he was very upset about his consequence of not watching the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles DVD we checked out from the library for the rest of the day (a big deal considering he had been watching it non-stop since we brought it home.) As a mom, when you're wondering which consequence to pick, you know you hit the jackpot when your kid bursts into tears and cries for 20 minutes. I know that sounds mean, but really, I'd rather never be informed that he has peed in public ever again.


Please excuse the lame leprechaun pin. First of all, I needed a little green on top of my outfit. Secondly, Harrison made it at school last year, and I wanted to make him feel special by wearing it.

Harrison eventually got over his funk and enjoyed the party. Here he is with his best buddy and partner in crime, Logan. I think they look like brothers.

Harrison came home from school with lots of St. Patty's Day treasures that day.

We did our ritual of taking a picture with them so I could throw them away later when he wasn't looking.


Storing the memories digitally takes up a lot less room.

Elizabeth wanted in on the action of getting her picture taken, so she got to pose with a decoration.

She's still perfecting the art of posing with things.

So that was our Day O Green.

Next year I'm making a pin that says "English/Danish/German people deserve kisses too!" (Especially if they go out of the way to celebrate a holiday that's not really theirs.)

2 comments:

Dan and Dee said...

I love how you celebrate holidays with your kids. I miss that!
you are awesome!

trishanna said...

wow are you sure your not irish? you sure party like one!